- A smile is easy. Getting one back is satisfying and powerful.
- It’s a simple thing to say hello to a stranger or meet their eye and nod.
- When a neighbor needs a helping hand, or a friend needs to be consoled, the answer to their needs is simple, you do whatever you can.
- Giving of yourself and expecting nothing in return, will open the door to the goodness we find in others.
- It may not be easy for all of us to bend down to look into the eyes of a child, but the idea of meeting them at their level is a simple one, one that shows empathy and understanding.
- Let a fellow driver merge into traffic. Fix the flat tire for a mom with three kids in the car. Take your mom to lunch. Open the door for others. All simple and satisfying.
- It is always a good deed to allow someone with just bread and milk to check out ahead of you and your three carts full of groceries.
- When the effort is there, but the result is not, a pat on the back will mean quite a lot.
- Simple in concept but often difficult to do is to really listen when someone talks to you.
- Mentoring a child may not be so simple for you, but it is simply one of the most important things you will ever do!
As a parent, simple things are hugs, praise, yes or no, clear rules for behavior, and smiles. Being a parent is not simple. We know that. But using simple concepts of parenting will help enormously! So will being a good example to your children by performing acts similar to those above. Most of the mentoring you will do, as I call it in my book, is “parental osmosis”. Here is a quote from, The Power of Dadhood, How to Become the Father Your Child Needs.
"One thing you need not worry about—it will happen with certainty—is this: your children will learn from you. They learn in two ways: First, they learn by what you point out to them that they may never see on their own. I call this parenting. Second, they observe and mimic you. I call this as parental osmosis."
In summary, you can talk and preach all you want, but it is not simple to overcome what kids learn from parental osmosis. What is simple! Do good and you teach ‘good’. Be kind and you teach ‘kind’. Be fair and you teach ‘fair’. Have integrity and you will teach ‘integrity’.
Be the person you want your children to be. Now that is simple (in concept)!