“(I have not) discussed in depth the current technologies that impact our children’s lives: cell phones, cable television, computers, the Internet, and so on. These conveniences help us in our everyday lives, but they also bring more challenges in protecting our children from predators, immorality, misinformation, and so many influences that may counter our beliefs and the good of our children. But the answers to good parenting remain constant through all technological changes.”
Those answers to good parenting I’ve discussed many times and are generally quite easy to agree upon. Love, consistency, and discipline are among those keys to good parenting.
Let’s take technology as an example. What unbelievable convenience, knowledge, and entertainment comes to us through technology, and with the speed of light. So too are the many frightening things that can come to us and our children as mentioned in my quote above. We adults are on our own with regard to weeding out the good from the bad. Take advantage of technology, don’t let it take advantage of you. Avoid getting trapped in endless loops of YouTube videos or Candy Crush mania. Instead, use these incredible advantages, never seen by any other generation, to do amazing things for ourselves and our children.
Let’s protect our children and show them the right way to use technology. When you read the bullets regarding the use of technology for good, remember that these suggestions are just technologically focused ways of parenting using proven techniques such as involvement, showing love, discipline, and having principles.
Using Technology for Good Parenting
- Use your smart calendar to remind you of your kids’ important events, or to schedule family time.
- The readily available camera will capture your kids in moments you will want to remember.
- Download fun and interesting books that you can read to your kids.
- Track your kids using their smart phones, and let them know you are doing so.
- Subscribe to serious blogs that give parenting tips, including how to keep you child safe on the Internet.
- Education and exploration is enhanced so much by technology. Use it to create interest and further the knowledge of your kids.
- Text them encouraging and loving messages while remembering to also say those things aloud.
New Twists on Old Tricks
As society changes, introducing new issues with which we must contend, fall back on the basics of good parenting to find your answers. For some of those basics, refer to "The Seven BE’s of a Successful Dad” and A Dad’s Self-Inspection Checklist