Below are 18 things I learned, or were reinforced to me, at the IBPA Publishing University. They are from my scribbled notes and I could only attribute a few of these directly and some are just observations of mine. So, in mass, I attribute the following 18 lessons to the speakers, members and staff of IPBA.
- Being around people who share your passion is invaluable
- Encouragement is like rocket fuel
- You can always learn from others
- You always have something to contribute
- People are excited to help those who want it
- You must have values, a mission, and a plan
- You’re always fighting the odds, so you can’t be lazy
- There are a lot of ways to skin a cat
- Don’t squat with your spurs on (also a book!)
- You must have a platform (or you’ll never be found)
- Be with your audience
- Look into their eyes and be honest
- Look for people who want your success
- Maintain your position until circumstances change in your favor
- A professional is an amateur who didn’t quit
- Partner with experts
- Do what you have to, even if you don’t like it
For the dads out there, are not these lessons useful for us as fathers? Even #9!
Thank you IBPA!